• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Zarkex01

Nintendo announces Joy-Con battery grips

dims.jpeg.e46cfd1375d7b479ba4b0e44a8c06a7c.jpeg

Picture: Nintendo

Nintendo announced a new Joy-Con Accessory in their latest Direct. A Joy-Con Charging Grip that's working with 2 x AA Batteries to give you more Playtime! They announced this Accessory most likely because ARMS draws much Power from your Body and Joy-Cons although the Joy-Cons already last 20 Hours on one Charge. It also improves the Grip since its a bulge that needs to be there to fit the AA Batteries. We currently do not know anything about how long it will improve the Playtime. The Joy-Con Charging Grip slides onto the Joy-Con like the safety Strap but in reverse direction. Also, it features the improved shoulder Buttons like the Joy-Con Straps, this means you can't use the Battery Grip and connect it to the Nintendo Switch because the Battery Grip covers the Rails. It will be released alongside the Yellow Joy-Cons on the 16th of June.

Mod Edit: Corrected typo in release date

Will ARMS really use that much power from the joy-con batteries to make Nintendo announce this accessory? I mean, you can play with them for ~20 hours, in a single charge. Maybe this is more for ergonomics, after hearing that the grip from these little fellas are too unconfortable for some people's big hands?

Why do the charging add one use AA batteries? Is it 1998? Why aren't they internal batteries? It should attach to the joy cons and when they get attached to the switch, the switch charges the joy cons as well as the add ons.

Why do the charging add one use AA batteries? Is it 1998? Why aren't they internal batteries? It should attach to the joy cons and when they get attached to the switch, the switch charges the joy cons as well as the add ons.

The Charging Pins are in the Rails of the Joy-Cons

The Charging Pins are in the Rails of the Joy-Cons

The Charging add ons could have rails of their own that attach to the switch.

There is definitely a way to do it

I don't think this is for everyone. The people who will need this are the people who play the "wii style" games like arms and just dance.

I think i had enough AA Batteries in my Life (shoutout to my Wii remotes)

This honestly seems so lame to me. You would think 20 freaking hours of battery is enough...

It is just an accessory. It's not mandatory for you to have to be able to enjoy the Switch better. Maybe other people, like, me want more than 20 hours of gameplay.

It is just an accessory. It's not mandatory for you to have to be able to enjoy the Switch better. Maybe other people, like, me want more than 20 hours of gameplay.

Especially if you are travelling with no option to recharge them

Especially if you are travelling with no option to recharge them

your switch will be dead long before your joycons. And if you have an extended battery for the switch, that same battery can recharge the joycons.

For me the biggest nice thing about the battery packs seems to be the larger size and a bit extra weight. Especially if I'm going to be shadow boxing with it I'd like a bit more thickness to it and some weight to fit my hands better. two AA batteries might be about right.

I think this is more for the people who don't have time to charge their joy-cons, and simply just want to slap some instant battery-powered charge into them (although I am not sure how many people there are like that). I can envision a situation where you have just arrived at the airport, and are leaving soon, but your joy cons aren't charged, so you buy some batteries and bam.... instant charge. I cannot see this selling well due to the huge bulk and the lack of people who actually do want this kind of product, thus it was skimmed over. Hopefully Nintendo realizes this and doesn't loose tonnes of money because of over-stock.

C9PsgEeVYAADmvW.jpg.570f8f972134ccf7b82a7b0422c40537.jpg

• Like 1

your switch will be dead long before your joycons. And if you have an extended battery for the switch, that same battery can recharge the joycons.

For me the biggest nice thing about the battery packs seems to be the larger size and a bit extra weight. Especially if I'm going to be shadow boxing with it I'd like a bit more thickness to it and some weight to fit my hands better. two AA batteries might be about right.

I didn't realize, until I read your comment, that the added weight which you mentioned would really help to have better handling over the joycons.

I'm a bit confused by the .... here, I don't own a switch so I apologize if this is a totally stupid question, but do the joycons and switch itself (the portable screen, not the dock) run on separate batteries that need to be recharged? Or do these AA batteries power both switch and joycon controllers? I hope that made sense. I feel like even asking the question, just the way I worded it, made little sense haha.

I'm a bit confused by the .... here, I don't own a switch so I apologize if this is a totally stupid question, but do the joycons and switch itself (the portable screen, not the dock) run on separate batteries that need to be recharged? Or do these AA batteries power both switch and joycon controllers? I hope that made sense. I feel like even asking the question, just the way I worded it, made little sense haha.

They each have their own battery, the switch is good for about 3 hours, the joy cons are good for about 20 hours of gaming. The battery in the switch can charge the joycons. So if everything has a dead battery, snap the joycons on the switch, place the switch in the dock.

I have no idea why this is a thing, because a Joycon has a battery life of 20 hours, But it I guess its just there to be some sort of confort grip.

I don't think this is for everyone. The people who will need this are the people who play the "wii style" games like arms and just dance.

My big hands up. Off the little controllers I think this might solve my problem

There may be replies this thread. Create an account or sign in to read and/or comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now