• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
MrMischief

You can now use gold points to pay for eShop purchases

https://my.nintendo.com/about_gold_point

Screenshot 2018-03-05 at 8.48.28 PM.png

You can earn gold points at 5x of the price you pay on digital purchases. If you buy a physical copy, you earn 1x of what the digital version costs. Nintendo says 5% and 1% respectively, but their maths doesn't check out and I find saying 5x's to be more clear. So if you buy a game for $59.99 on the eShop you will earn 300 gold points. The same game purchased physically will earn you 60 gold points. 1 gold point = 1 cent in savings. So if you have 260 gold points and you want to buy the Zelda BotW DLC, which costs $19.99, you can take $2.60 off that price and buy it for $17.39. It appears from NIntendo's litature that you will then earn 5x that 17.39 back as gold points for your next purchase, or 87 cents off the next purchase.

I'm rather annoyed by this. I could use my 260 points to get 4 games for a total of $23 in value with 80 points left over for next month if I take the standard, Wii U/3DS awards. I understand that the Switch is popular so Nintendo doesn't need to offer rewards like they used to with Club Nintendo, but they're even making the original My Nintendo look like a great program. In addition they significantly changed how many points you get today, vs if you were an early adopter. By not adjusting our early adopters balances to match today's current values, they've effectively slapped everyone who first supported this system in the face. I was hoping when this went live I could snag the BotW DLC for free, or at least heavily discounted, but it'd cost me 2,000 points to get there. That's $400 in digital purchases, or $2,000 in physical purchases. 

What says Nintendo Radar? Are you liking the new plan because you can finally spend your gold points on something you want or for some other reason?

• Like 1

Forbes has now picked this up... That's right! I wrote something so interesting and  useful that Forbes also wrote it! AND I did it well before Forbes did... Clearly I've missed my calling. :D:D:D

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2018/03/06/nintendos-switch-loyalty-program-wants-you-to-spend-1200-6000-for-a-free-game/#258b40e81b35

Nintendo, Nintendo. You do so many things right, but so, so many things wrong. While the Switch is a fantastic system with incredible games, Nintendo continues to show a distinct lack of self-awareness in other important areas. The latest case? Nintendo’s just-announced loyalty program which uses the Gold Coins players have been racking up for eons now and turns them into...well, not much.

The “Gold Points” system as Nintendo calls it is supposed to be a reward program that gives players free games and discounts the more games you buy, and now it applies to Switch titles. Sounds perfectly reasonable in theory, but in practice, Nintendo’s math feels…less than generous.

One Gold Coin equals one cent in this system. Points are awarded based on what you pay for games, and how you buy them. 5% of the purchase price for eShop games will be converted into points, while 1% of the price of physical games will be converted into points.

That may not sound that bad on the surface, Nintendo’s example is that a $60 eShop game will give you $3 off your next purchase, but when you zoom out on this math, it’s pretty absurd.

You will have to spend $1,200 on Nintendo eShop games to get one free $60 title.

You will have to spend $6,000 on physical Nintendo games to get one free $60 title.

As crazy as that sounds, those are correct calculations using the percentages Nintendo gives us and the 1 point = 1 cent conversion. Oh, and if you’re thinking about playing the long game, these points expire after 12 months, so good luck.

Also, the new system appears to be rewarding more points to titles in year two, while games that were bought in year one seem to be giving out less points than this current system. Many players have bought a bunch of games for the Switch both physically and digitally and they only have at most, a few hundred points after a year of owning the console. So it feels like Nintendo is punishing early adopters above and beyond how the system works in year two.

I…supposed that 5% back on digital purchases is not all that bad, but of course constantly buying digital games on the Switch requires extra storage space purchases because of the tiny native hard drive, so that’s probably offsetting whatever money you’re getting back by itself. If you buy all digital games going forward you can get one free $60 title for every twenty $60 purchases, which is somewhat acceptable, I suppose, except for the fact that there’s a year-long expiration date on the points so you have to make all those purchases within a single year. The physical copy kickback might as well not even exist at 1%, however.

I guess the problem is that through their online services, Microsoft and Sony are throwing around free games like nobody’s business, and with something like Microsoft’s Game Pass, you’re essentially getting dozens of “free” games all the time for a small subscription fee. By comparison, Nintendo’s reward system feels like the worst possible grocery store loyalty card program.

It also has players concerned about what Nintendo’s finalized paid online service is going to look like if they’re developing a system that feels as unrewarding as this. Will they be able to compete with Sony and Microsoft’s giveaways and features, or is this another aspect they’re going to bungle? It’s hard to say, because even as Nintendo continues to produce excellent hardware and software, their infrastructure remains lacking in cases like this.

The most die-hard of Switch owners who are fully committed to going digital may get some tiny sliver of value out of this Gold Points system, needing to spend $1,200 a year on games, but everyone else? Enjoy your couple bucks back every so often, and don’t expect much more than that.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, MrMischief said:

Forbes has now picked this up... That's right! I wrote something so interesting and  useful that Forbes also wrote it! AND I did it well before Forbes did... Clearly I've missed my calling. :D:D:D

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2018/03/06/nintendos-switch-loyalty-program-wants-you-to-spend-1200-6000-for-a-free-game/#258b40e81b35

You think they were inspired by your post... or just coincidence? Looks a lot like they were inspired by what you wrote xD

• Like 1

If you buy digitally and use your rewards for indie games it's not bad. But for physical games it's pretty terrible. Even if you stack a bunch of coupons, you have to really work to get close to that 5% back that digital games give you. Take my not-so-unique Smash situation.

I just signed up for Best Buys' gamer club thing. I can pre order smash for $48, but I also have a $5 coupon in my email for signing up for the gamer club. I also have $15 in certificates to use. Best buy will also kick in $10 back for pre ordering. So we're at $13 for Smash. I'll then get at least 1% back from ebates (sometimes ibotta is better, I'll need to look) so I'm thinking at most Smash will cost me $12.87, which Nintendo will then kick me 60 cents in credit, so about 5% return.

There may be replies this thread. Create an account or sign in to read and/or comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now