• Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
FamiTom

No More Shells! - dbrand skins are safe now!

Remember how dbrand's switch skins flopped due to issues with the adhesive? 

Well, they don't anymore! And that's what this topic is about.

dbrand_skins.jpg.331d11404148dd4a5e382bcbf6eb597b.jpg

In case you don't remember, or you've been living under a rock, here's what happened. A company by the name of dbrand, who makes skins for all sorts of devices saw a big opportunity in selling skins for the joy-con controllers on the Switch since there were only three colours (yes, I'm Canadian) available at the time. What they and others quickly found out, however, was that the adhesive that was being used on the skins permanently damaged the plastic on the controllers.

They have been working hard for months now trying to perfect it, and here they are! (pic related)

The company tweeted this out:

Nintendo Switch skins are live:
✅ 7 new Switch-exclusive materials
✅ Tempered Glass 2-packs for $9.95
✅ Ships immediately
✅ Won't damage your Switch¹

may damage your wallet

The skins come in red, yellow, blue, pink, orange, purple, and green as well as matte white, camo black and black carbon fibre. The same colours are also available on the back of the Switch itself and the dock's accent colours and faceplate. I'll leave a link below if anyone wants to check them out for themselves:

https://dbrand.com/shop/nintendo-switch-skin

PostScript: Thanks to @Buzz for adding in that new sound when you like a topic!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Mind Blown 1

I'm going to be really curious when the reviews start coming in on these. I remember them saying that they and 3M tried hard to find an adhesive that worked without causing damage. As I recall the joycons had an outer coating that would peel off with the skin and on the console itself all the markings would come off as well. At the time they said the switch would not be compatible with an adhesive of any kind. Their decision to pull the Switch skins makes me think that dbrand is a stand up company and wouldn't release a subpar product, but I wonder what has changed. I'm assuming they found an adhesive, but will it stick as well as their other products?

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, FamiTom said:

dbrand_skins.jpg.331d11404148dd4a5e382bcbf6eb597b.jpg

may damage your wallet

Especially if you try to use them as covers for your wallet!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the update @Fiscus! Really great thread! I'm glad to hear that people can now confidently buy a colored joy-con without the worries of it damaging the natural joy-con plastic

Posted (edited)

Now, the question remains: Can I stick this on without air bubbles or affixing it crooked and ruining it right away in an instant fit of frustration and sweaty palms, similar to the way I excel at applying screen protectors?

Because I would be interested for sure if I could apply it without screwing it up. I think the natural oils on my mitts are starting to damage the joycon, or at least leaving marks around the circumference of the buttons. Is anyone else experiencing this? I think these skins would be a nice solution to that issue. 

Edited by Jonny B. Goode

2 hours ago, Jonny B. Goode said:

Now, the question remains: Can I stick this on without air bubbles or affixing it crooked and ruining it right away in an instant fit of frustration and sweaty palms, similar to the way I excel at applying screen protectors?

Because I would be interested for sure if I could apply it without screwing it up. I think the natural oils on my mitts are starting to damage the joycon, or at least leaving marks around the circumference of the buttons. Is anyone else experiencing this? I think these skins would be a nice solution to that issue. 

Well, none of the buttons are covered by the skin so that helps

There may be replies this thread. Create an account or sign in to read and/or comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now