1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article How much are you willing to pay?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Switch' started by MrMischief, Sep 25, 2017.

By MrMischief on Sep 25, 2017 at 6:16 PM
  1. MrMischief

MrMischief Mod Team

h8Mm4dC.jpg
    Reviews for NBA 2K18 are saying that game plays brilliantly and that it is a great simulation of the sport. However the game seems to go off the rails for me with its micro transactions. If you want a new pair of shoes, that'll run you 1,500 VC and you gain on average 600 VC per game. There is of course constant poking and prodding to get you to spend your hard earned VC on various things, and don't forget to drink your gatorade (It's got what NBA players crave! It's got electrolytes) or wear your new JBL headphones.

You start the game with 6,000 VC, which can easily all be spent on your character development raising your overall rating from 60 to 62. If you want to raise your rating another point to 63 that will cost you about 4,000 VC. If you want to change hairstyles you can do that over at the barbershop, but just like in real life you'll need to spend your VC before you can see it on your character and those cuts cost upwards of 1,500 VC. If you want a tattoo, you can do that once your character reaches an overall rating of 70, and each tattoo costs an additional 1,000 VC. This routine continues for shoes, clothes, animations..... You can play for hours to earn your VC, remember you get around 600 VC per game, to get to an overall rating of 86 will require about 200 games. Or you can buy your VC at a rate of 75,000 VC for $20 USD.

The digital edition shown above is called "Legend Edition Gold" for $150, that is a $90 premium over the standard $60 game. For that you will get 250,000 VC to start the game, saving you about $6 compared to if you bought the standard edition and 250,000 VC in game.

In game advertising of real life products like gatorade is not something I'm adamantly opposed to, however I feel that it should help reduce the cost of the game. I have similar thoughts about micro transactions, they're fine if the game is low cost to begin with and balanced against micro transactions that are not too predatory. NBA 2K18 does not strike any kind of balance at all, the game is the same price as a full game without advertising or micro transactions and NBA 2K18 all but requires these micro transactions to make the game fun. So ultimately the question is, how much are you willing to pay for a video game? With NBA 2K18 you better be planning to set aside at least $200, assuming you already own the required micro SD card.

Potatogun likes this.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017

Comments

Discussion in 'Nintendo Switch' started by MrMischief, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Potatogun
      Potatogun
      I'm bothered by microtransactions, for sure. But not so much because it affects me a lot. It's because they're there in the first place. For me, give me good gameplay, a good story, a good game, period, and I'm happy. But when microtransactions interfere with the character of the game, it's messed up. People want to experience a game to its fullest without paying ridiculous premiums. Perhaps the most infuriating of them all, or rather, the one that affects me the most, is Amiibos. I don't do gaming collectibles. At least, not much. I don't go to Gamestop to buy the latest FunkoPOP. I don't have a single one (or an Amiibo, for that matter!). So when I learned Splatoon locked off quests behind Amiibos, I was very upset. I wanted to be able to train CPUs without having Amiibos in Super Smash Bros. While I realize Amiibos can be a great value for those with enough Nintendo games that support them, I don't have a lot that do, and don't have a New 3DS. I mean, I have Smash, Mario Kart and Splatoon and Animal Crossing and Code Name S.T.E.A.M. for 3DS.

I suppose my desire to experience many great games prevents me from seeking collectibles. But one day, I'm gonna have to buy an Amiibo.
      MrMischief likes this.
    2. MrMischief
      MrMischief
      I have a good number of amiibos..... really they seem to be reproducing on their own at this point.... On one hand I feel that the amiibos do not unlock vital parts to the game, even in Splatoon what they unlock is very limited and do not provide things that are necessary or all that great. The flip side of that is "why do I keep buying these things?!" So I'm sorta pleased and upset with Nintendo all in the same breath. At least I have cool figures and they work with a bunch of games rather than just one.

In NBA 2K18 the VC seems much more like a "pay to win" scenario and that is absolutely ridiculous.
    3. jark
      jark
      As someone who bought the legends gold edition on the PS4, I can say that the VC really does get spent fast. I spend most of my points just after 2 days from accessories and character development. Sure you can get VC from playing games, but spending money seems far less difficult and creates a PTW situation no doubt
      MrMischief likes this.
    4. fatty Wario 101
    5. Timelord_no_1
      Timelord_no_1
      I think that microtransactions can be good if done right. Look at a game like CS:GO on PC. The purchasable items are cosmetic only. You don't need them to play. Or maybe Tomb Raider (2013), where you get some characters and weapons for multiplayer that don't really affect the game all that much. NBA, FIFA, COD and Battlefield all seem to have bullsh*t amounts of DLC and microtransactions that adversely affect the experience.

but thats my 2 pence
    6. fatty Wario 101
      fatty Wario 101
      I like football more than basketball

my maxium would probably be 25 pounds at the max.
      isnt it just like fifa but for basketball

To be very very honest I would not get this game at all but I do recomend this for basketball lovers.
      Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2017
    7. skeer
      skeer
      I heard this game was awful, soooooo not that much