1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article Is MK 8 Dlx online service a sign of bad times ahead?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Switch' started by MrMischief, May 8, 2017.

By MrMischief on May 8, 2017 at 5:43 PM
  1. MrMischief

MrMischief Mod Team

NSwitch_MarioKart8Deluxe_03_mediaplayer_large.jpg
    If you've played Mario Kart 8 Deluxe online enough you'll have found that there is a big issue with lagging. That red shell you threw and hit the person right in front of you may not have actually hit, despite you seeing the hit animation.

The main culprit for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe’s multiplayer mishaps may be Nintendo’s decision to use peer-to-peer servers rather than dedicated ones. In short, while the protocol is still favored by lots of console games today, it’s not well suited for a fast-paced game like Mario Kart. The basics of the technology suggest that much of the gameplay functions are handled off the server itself. That requires keeping track of 12 racers, their positions and the items each one is carrying. As we’re seeing, that load is too heavy for this game to handle.

So, if you’re looking for any magic fixes for your woes, you won’t find them here. The problems being encountered seemingly spring from Nintendo’s online design choice rather than an option that can be toggled in settings. Netcode can obviously improve with time, but the larger P2P environment makes that job all the more difficult.

This is especially frustrating considering gamers are expected to pay a fee for multiplayer access by the end of this year. While shifting Mario Kart 8 Deluxe off P2P would likely require too much heavy lifting to be viable, is its release a preview of what we’ll be seeing in 2018 and beyond? Will the same old Nintendo repeat its online regressions?

Diego7000 and Buzz like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'Nintendo Switch' started by MrMischief, May 8, 2017.

1. Jonny B. Goode
      Jonny B. Goode
      Woof. As a Switch owner who has yet to play MarioKart but has ordered it and is waiting patiently for its arrival, this is concerning. The only reason I want MK8 is for playing buddies online! Is this a common experience? Does it have to do with the NAT Type? Or maybe just my overall connection speed? Of course, there is a lot that is going to change with the online features so maybe this is only temporary.
      Diego7000 likes this.
    2. Awkward_Fantasy
      Awkward_Fantasy
      It will probably be better when they release the full online service in fall..
      Diego7000 likes this.
    3. Buzz
      Buzz
      Great article but yeah it's concerning. My copy is coming tomorrow *gulp*
    4. Fiscus
      Fiscus
      I think that as soon as the mobile app for voice chat comes out, alongside paid (oh no) nintendo network, nintendo's servers will improve.
    5. Novus
      Novus
      Hmmm, I would expect a pay service to mean dedicated servers. I wouldn't be willing to pay if that wasn't the case, as there is no justification for them to ask for the money.
    6. JPrivady
      JPrivady
      Nintendo is losing here; now that they're bringing paid online services, they need to demonstrate that these services are efficient. Or else...
    7. Joe
      Joe
      The full service isn't coming til fall though. Don't doubt yet.
    8. plshalp
      plshalp
      trying to be optimistic here, but yes lag is such a pain
      Diego7000 likes this.
    9. Relaxingwave
      Relaxingwave
      I love Mario kart
      Diego7000 likes this.
    10. plshalp
      plshalp
      agreed, hopefully it's only temporary!
      Diego7000 likes this.
    11. Frankkenzo
      Frankkenzo
      I don't mind the fee so much, but there better be more perks than announced!
    12. Brockoclock
      Brockoclock
      It's not a great marketing move, even if they do switch to dedicated servers in the fall—if the free trial version isn't working properly, that hardly inclines players to trust the paid service.
      Diego7000 likes this.
    13. bee4545
      bee4545
      trying to be optimistic here, but yes lag is such a pain -plshalp

Yes i agree but if you want something really laggy try my computer...
      Diego7000 likes this.
    14. Diego7000
      Diego7000
      I am looking forward to this game but not so much after this...