1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is the switch worth it

Discussion in 'Nintendo Switch' started by holmie91, Aug 9, 2017.

is it worth it

1. yes

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
You'll need to Login or Register to vote in this poll :(
Registering takes 2 secs. Username, Email, Pass & Vote! Boom. Instant
  1. holmie91

holmie91 New Member

is it

2. JNASTY

JNASTY Active Member

Indubitably

MrMischief likes this.
  3. Vickypinkxx

Vickypinkxx New Member

I wish you guys had expanded your answers as to why it's worth it and what the advantages. I love my 3DS and so far I am not convinced to buy the Switch yet and need some more info.

4. MrMischief

MrMischief Mod Team

IMO the 3DS is a dead system walking. It's only a matter of time until Nintendo completely drops the ax on it. I'm not sure that means you should run out and buy a Switch today, but I'm inclined to think that your 3DS won't ever be worth more than it is right now so maybe it's the best time to sell it and all of your games/accessories to help fund a Switch purchase.

That said we're still missing a lot from the Switch like Smash (there is a clone coming), or Pokemon, or Monster Hunter..... so unless you can burn a lot of hours on BotW, Mario Kart 8 Dlx (I enjoyed it despite owning MK8 on Wii U), and Splatoon, then you're probably fine to be holding off for now.

But what makes the Switch great? I enjoy the portability and multiplayer capabilities of it. I was never really into portable games because they felt too cheap/toyish and had too many compromises. The Switch is a portable console, so it gets around all of those issues for me. I like the gimmick of being able to play with random people by handing them a joy-con although most seem a little scared to do it. I'll be playing Mario Kart on a plane, notice the guy next to me is watching, "want to do 2 player?" as I offer them a joy-con and probably something like 90% refuse. But those who do join in, we seem to have a lot of fun. The 3DS and games/apps on the phone seem to be very isolating. Sure you might be playing with someone online but that isn't the same as playing with someone who is sitting with you. I think that the Switch helps break down the walls we've all been busy building for the last 15 years or so, and in general I see that as a good thing. My coworkers and I have really bonded over our Switches, when we're in the office we play a round or two of battle mode in Mario Kart every day. We weren't doing that with our PS4/XBone or phones.

JNASTY likes this.
  5. Vickypinkxx

Vickypinkxx New Member

I would never sell my 3DS - I don't care about value of it. I played several thousand hours of Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate and similar on MH Generations. I have my save files on my system and they aren't transferable to Switch :-( I wish they were. I think we should at least be given MHXX on 3DS so we can complete the game. MHG is just Low and High rank, MHXX is supposed to be the G rank. If we don't get it, then it feels like we only got half the game in the UK and that sucks :-(

6. Fiscus

Fiscus Active Member

Jesus, how much time did you spend writing that?

7. Fiscus

Fiscus Active Member

My post on the matter is linked below:
    https://goo.gl/ts3hSQ

In short, I say yes. Not only is it a good console and worth buying, but you'll have a lot of fun with it. Of course, it depends on who you ask, and you are asking a Nintendo forum.

8. MrMischief

MrMischief Mod Team

LOL like 5 minutes, maybe 10..... Didn't even proof it so forgive the typos but I was at work and didn't have much time.

9. Vickypinkxx

Vickypinkxx New Member

For me it will be worth buying when a Monster Hunter game is available on it or a main Pokemon game (not a spin off) until then I'm saving up.

10. Pixelzard

Pixelzard New Member

I don't think the 3DS is a dead system, even Nintendo said they will support the 3DS for a longer period of time since it still is kinda popular. It took them a pretty long time to get the system right with the different versions. But i think with the newer version they focused more on games then really on the 3D aspect. In my opinion this will do a lot of good because now it isn't longer just a cool new 3D toy but now it advanced to proper handheld. I expect Nintendo to support the system with a lot more amazing titles.

( And even if they don't, pokemon is a sole reason to have a handheld!)

I agree with the rest of your post about the Switch it's amazing combination of console and portability. I don't necessarily think that gaming on your 3Ds is isolating, everyone likes to play in his/her own way. The switch offers a great deal of new options playtime wise, but everyone don't trade in your 3DS's just yet! Give some love to the little ones in the family.

11. Buzz

Buzz Member

I've found it hard finding time to pick up my Switch lately... a mix of being busy with life and when I have been gaming it's been on my Alienware Gaming lappy playing my old favourites :)

I'll say this - one thing I've learnt time and time again is that it never hurts to wait and be patient before picking up a console; and here's a few reasons why:

• The price of the console and games will come down gradually (if not at retail, then on sites like eBay)
    • You'll find a lot of attractive bundles, sales and deals around the holiday period. More so than you'll find around this time of year.
    • More features will be announced and the system will be more refined over the coming months meaning it'll age like a fine wine and get better with time ;)
    • One of my biggies - MORE GAMES. The longer you wait, the larger a selection of games you'll have to choose from. For example if you wait till the holiday period a lot of big hitters will be out like NBA2K18, Fifa 18, Mario Odyssey, Skyrim, Mario Rabbids, Pokken and many more to go along with the solid selection we have now (Splatoon, Zelda, MarioKart).
    Ultimately, if you enjoy Nintendo, want their latest games and want the closest thing to a portable home console then the Switch and all it offers as a package is undoubtedly 'worth it.' Right now - not for all; but in the long haul yes.

12. Fiscus

Fiscus Active Member

They've already announced that they're making a main series Pokémon game for the switch.

Buzz likes this.
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted