1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the Wii U worth it in 2017?

Discussion in 'Wii U' started by EliteSmash, Jul 9, 2017.

1. EliteSmash

EliteSmash New Member

Personally, I like my wii u very much along with my nintendo switch but if you didn't have it, is it still worth it? I personally think that buying the wii u instead of the switch is questionable, but not crazy since the price has dropped down a little. What is your opinion?

mattfromri likes this.
    1. Dargentum
      if you want to play Sm4sh or Splatoon do it

Dargentum, Oct 15, 2017
  2. Buzz

Buzz Member

Great thread, I think if someone has money burning a hole in their pocket and has space for it then the Wii U would be a great purchase. There's a ton of great Nintendo games on it right now that even I haven't played yet, every main Nintendo franchise is out on it. So yeah I'd definately get one.

Most of the Switch's best games (right now) are available on the Wii U. (BOTW, MK8 etc)

3. MrMischief

MrMischief Mod Team

I would not buy a Wii U instead of a Switch, but I have no plans to get rid of my Wii U anytime soon. As Buzz said, it's a great system that had a lot of fun games on it and the VC library for it continues to grow. There's nothing wrong with owning both systems, but if you can only have one in your life, then the Switch is the better purchase.

Diego7000, Buzz and EliteSmash like this.
  4. slevey

slevey New Member

i think in the long run it will be much smarter to wait until the switch is back in stock at places like target (so you can use the target red debit card to save 5% - which usually covers tax) and buy it then. sure there aren't many games right now, but there will be, and you cannot beat the portability of the switch. you would be landlocked to a tv with the wii u

EliteSmash likes this.
  5. MrMischief

MrMischief Mod Team

Not entirely true. I played my Wii U in the airport before, a friend of mine has one in her car that her kid plays on road trips. It's not as great as the Switch, but a Wii U can be somewhat portable for a console.

Diego7000 likes this.
  6. EliteSmash

EliteSmash New Member

Uh, what games can you play on the wii u on the road?

Diego7000 likes this.
  7. I feel like most of the big WiiU games will be on the Switch in the future... So I will have to go with no. Unless you find one of a good price.

EliteSmash likes this.
  8. Potatogun

Potatogun Active Member

Depends on the person, of course. But frankly, if we got a Switch, I'd probably still play the Wii U more at home than the Switch. I wouldn't want to break the budget, plus, we've got more than library enough of Wii U games. Super Mario 3D World, Scribble, Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition, Smash Bros., Splatoon, Runbow and Mario Kart 8. Plus single player games like Zelda Wind Waker HD and Bit.Trip Runner 2. I'd have to add to the list 3DS games, Wii games, Xbox 360 games, PC games, and mobile games like Super Mario Run. We have more than enough to last a lifetime. We don't need a Switch, but if we get one, I'd consider myself blessed and I'd play it.

If we didn't have a Switch or a Wii U, I might suggest a Wii U instead of a Switch because it has certain features the Switch lacks. Netflix, for one. A more sturdy build, imo. And more less expensive, high quality games like 3D World and Wind Waker HD. We'd also have access to the Virtual Console of Wii games, SNES games, N64 games, DS games and more! We already have things we can play on on the go. 3DS and Mobile. And I can write poetry and literature and stuff on PC, even if I can't play games.

Diego7000 and EliteSmash like this.
  9. timmertje

timmertje New Member

I would honestly save up for a Switch. The Wii U has had several great games, but it has been a long time since a game was specifically developed for it.

10. jason2993

jason2993 Member

Not too sure the WiiU was a good console in general, let alone several years later at any discounted price

11. DJMouthwash

DJMouthwash New Member

Personally, I'm going to vote no. The Wii U has some good backlog, like Bayonetta and Wonderfull 101, but I would wait a year or two or five for the price to go down, but before the store for it goes down.

jason2993 likes this.
  12. Yung_SB

Yung_SB Member

If you don't pay for it yes, but if you the one that's paying it would be best to invest in the Switch since 9 times out of 10 all the Wii U games will be ported to it in the future.

13. Diego7000

Diego7000 Active Member

Dang @EliteSmash I didn’t know you write such intriguing threads! Good Job :)! And Personally, like @Potatogun said it depends on you, I would like a Switch better than a Wii U. I mean the Wii U has some of the best games and a bigger library but I prefer handheld play than TV play mainly because I can't play on TV as much as I can on Handheld. I know that the Wii U can play handheld through game pad but it has to be close to the console plugged in. And @MrMischief REALLY?
    Anyway I really want a Switch and I know the price will DEFINETLY go down in a year or two from today as all Nintendo consoles do! Great Thread :)!

EliteSmash likes this.
  14. Dasa_hun

Dasa_hun New Member

Switch is so cool. You can play on the go, better design, and there will a tons of games, i think.

15. adavis413

adavis413 New Member

My son has a wii u and absolutely loves it! We don't have a switch though and he desperately wants one.

16. MrMischief

MrMischief Mod Team

Sorry I don't know how I missed this.

Here is a list on wikipedia of Wii U games that do not require a TV, however I do not think the list is complete.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off-TV_Play

17. drmcgamer

drmcgamer New Member

its not worth it. your best be is xbox one s or nintendo switch

18. nysavannah28

nysavannah28 New Member

I think a wii u is still worth it today because of gaames like mario party 10 and SM3DW

19. mattfromri

mattfromri New Member

I traded in my Wii U console for the Switch (kept all the games), but now I'm itching to rebuy it so I can play Smash, Wind Waker HD and the other great games from that library. Say what you want about the Wii U, it had an incredible library of games.

EliteSmash and MrMischief like this.
  20. JNASTY

JNASTY Active Member

I do not regret skipping it, but I do selfishly wish for more Switch ports.

mattfromri likes this.
  21. Ebandito

Ebandito New Member

Ive thought about it just for Wind Waker but holding out for a Switch port.

22. Gwaiidon

Gwaiidon New Member

The wii u is still a pretty good console and plus it can play breath of the wild

23. skeer

skeer New Member

I would say no, becuase no new games will be released on it, and if you have a semi decent pc, you can just use the cemu emulator

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted