1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article Nintendo Has Added Two-Factor Authentication

Discussion in 'Nintendo Switch' started by MrMischief, Sep 25, 2017.

By MrMischief on Sep 25, 2017 at 5:33 AM
  1. MrMischief

MrMischief Mod Team

161356-1NintendoRevampsTheirOnlineGamingEditorial013012-598x299.jpg

Nintendo is adding a new layer of security to its online accounts: users can now enable two-factor authentication to prevent unauthorized access.

To enable the authentication method, users are prompted to download Google Authenticator, which will provide them with a code when logging in.

The move is long overdue. Sony implemented two-factor authentication last year after a number of hacks that compromised user details, while other companies such as Steam and Microsoft have utilized the system for years.

Two-factor authentication is an extra layer of security for online accounts, which verifies a login attempt with a phone or an e-mail.

Comments

Discussion in 'Nintendo Switch' started by MrMischief, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Diego7000
      Diego7000
      So this Two Step Verification is gonna force you to do stuff I'm too lazy and can't trust Nintendo yet with this type of stuff but... I don't know... eh..
    2. Qelrinn
      Qelrinn
      Will it be optional? Personally I have never had security problems, since I'm to careful with links and whatnot. So I don't see the usefulness of it. Please tell me it's optional?! @-@
    3. MrMischief
      MrMischief
      I had to enable it, so at least for now it's optional.

But really it doesn't matter how careful you are with links and such, if your password is easily guessed (by a human or by a robot) you are at risk. 2-factor authentication will help with that. I'm still a big fan of coming up with three or four words, breaking them up with punctuation, adding in some numbers, and using that as a password.

For example "Fiscus bakes everyone pie"

Turn that into "@Fiscus .Bakes.Every1!3.14"

A human, especially one you don't know, will have a very tough time guessing that. According to one password checker that would take a computer 29 nonillion years. A nonillian is 10 followed by 30 zeros, I'd type it out but I'll probably lose count.... let's try anyways

29,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years

So pretty strong password and you probably already have it memorized.
    4. Qelrinn
      Qelrinn
      My memory sucks. So no worries there. And yay for optional. Lol. My passwords are combinations too x3
    5. mattfromri
      mattfromri
      This is a great added security feature. I do Two-step wherever I can.
    6. MrSandMan17
      MrSandMan17
      two steps is for the best part the risk of having account info changed and accounts lost or stolen.
      Even if just for peace of mind
    7. XFusion
      XFusion
      Agreed I think this is a great idea by nintendo.
    8. skeer
      skeer
      Well, nintendo is finally trying to catch up