1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should We Board The Atari Hype Train?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by MrMischief, Dec 12, 2017.

By MrMischief on Dec 12, 2017 at 3:09 PM
  1. MrMischief

MrMischief Member

ataribox1.0.jpg

Oh the Ataribox. Atari's first run at a home console since the failure that was the Jaguar. I liked the Jaguar, I've even played a few games on it. I also have a few minutes of Dragon's Lair on Jag CD under my belt from when I was a kid. I remember thinking it was a powerful system but there were hardly any games for it and the controller was just enormous feeling in my hands. Of course now I play the Wii U and the Switch, so maybe that controller wasn't so big. Ultimately though, only 60 some odd games were released for the Jaguar (something like 11 for Jag CD) before it was completely abandoned and Atari left the home console market. Ultimately Atari was bought by Hasbro and that seemed to be the end of a once powerful gaming giant. That is, until Thursday the 14th!

Atari has finally announced the preorder date for the long awaited Ataribox! Most people don't know that the Ataribox is coming and even those who do know that it exists don't know what it really is. A pretty poor start for Atari, but really if you look through their history you can write a college level marketing course in things not to do. It should come as no surprise that Atari hasn't figured out how to fire up a hype train yet, but that doesn't mean the Ataribox is going to be a bad product. Perhaps the Ataribox will be the next big thing everyone needs, because really I don't know anyone who doesn't want Atari to be successful again.

The Ataribox has a planned price tag of between $249 - $299 and you can start preordering it on Dec. 14. Now don't go rushing to your local Toys R Us or anything to submit your preorder, you're going to need to preoder it from indiegogo. Yes, the once powerhouse of the gaming world is crowd funding their resurgence.

So what is Ataribox: As you can see from the image above it is a thin box with a vintage wood trim. You can also get a more modern black and red one. There is an SD card slot, HDMI output and four USB ports. There is also a headphone jack alongside an ethernet cable port. Atari has said that it runs a Linux OS and is powered by an AMD processor and a Radeon graphics card.

From their website Atari says that the Ataribox will allow you to "Connect, Game, Stream like never before," going on to say there will be retro games, new indie titles and an open Linux OS. This screams to me that they will support modern wireless controllers and possibly even keyboards. In one of the images that was put out, it appears to show someone playing the Ataribox while holding an Xbox controller. The only official controller image so far has been for their joystick, which is very cool but it just won't get the job done for modern gaming and entertainment.

23722735_379572035814052_5810847118320157222_n.jpg
    Other than that, we really don't know what Atari plans to do or how successful this system will be. For me, $250 is a lot of change to drop on Atari. As much as I want them to succeed, I am not confident in their abilities and the lack of real information for the Ataribox has given me pause. I will be on indiegogo Thursday morning however to see if they have something solid for us, and my credit card will be at the ready just in case.

Comments

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by MrMischief, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Jonny B. Goode
      Jonny B. Goode
      So, I was in the process of doing some research on this very same topic when you posted this. I am super hesitant about this as I believe that it sounds too good to be true. In order to "Connect, Game, Stream like never before" Atari is going to have to have some pretty sick options crammed into that little box. Also, having never really experienced anything Atari brand before, I'm not sure what to expect. So, my outlook at the moment is cautiously optimistic. I own neither the NES or SNES remake, so maybe this will finally be the one to win my affection. Only time will tell!
    2. MrMischief
      MrMischief
      I want the ataribox to succeed... If you think about things atari did, some of it was really visionary. The Atari 2600 had a modem available called something like "game line." You had storage carts available, put one in the 2600, connect to gameline and download games for it. They also had plans for you to be able to download music but the record industry squashed it. Whatever happened to Game Line? Well it became a little thing known as AOL. But think about it, in 1977 Atari invented Steam and iTunes.

The Atari name deserves to be successful. I want the ataribox to be a success. The problem with that is their entire history. Even if the Ataribox is a huge hit and everyone buys one. That would mean in 6 months time they'd come out with the Ataribox2 and it would not be compatible with anything from the original ataribox. And then the 2 will be replaced within six months by the 3, and so on and so on.... Maybe Atari learned their lesson, but I'm not holding my breath.
      Joshiwahwah and Jonny B. Goode like this.
    3. Fiscus
      Fiscus
      HELL YEAH!
      MrMischief likes this.
    4. jaconstrips
      jaconstrips
      This is a confusing console. So it promises retro games, but also has specs to handle modern games? Is Atari expecting to compete with the ps4, switch, and xbone? Definitely poor marketing on Atari's part cause i've never heard of it until now.
      MrMischief likes this.
    5. MrMischief
      MrMischief
      I'm thinking that it will be a Steam Machine that comes preloaded with Atari classics. Being Linux based it'd be easy to port in apps like netflix and such as well.
    6. MrMischief
      MrMischief
      Atari pulls an Atari

I work up this morning, excited to rush over to Indiegogo and see all the great new information on the Ataribox, but there was none. Well I get up somewhat early so I figured it was just coming later. I come into work and been hitting the refresh key every so often, nothing. No updates. Finally in my email this morning I get this update:

It's not quite the fail I expected but I can't say that I'm surprised.

[​IMG]
    7. Jonny B. Goode
    8. Fiscus
      Fiscus
      MrMischief and Jonny B. Goode like this.
    9. MrMischief
      MrMischief
      My favorites are the Nintendo games on Atari

10. Joshiwahwah
      Joshiwahwah
      I don't honk we should board the Atari hype train

As compared to the other console such as the ps Xbox and Nintendo Atari is the least known

If we buy Atari's things those thing will be abandoned like very soon and no more new games would come out for it deeming it useless once you have no more games to play

So my advise is don't board the atari train
      Just stick to the other consoles
    11. Potatogun
      Potatogun
      Maybe we should...or maybe Atari should join the NintendoRadar hype train!
      JNASTY likes this.
    12. HotDash
      HotDash
      I don't think we should be hype about their upcoming system, not until we at least have more information on it.
    13. NitroFlux
      NitroFlux
      SHOULD WE BOARD THE ATARI HYPE TRAIN? : No