1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sonic Forces / Sonic Mania - for the Switch | News and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Nintendo Switch' started by JPrivady, Mar 23, 2017.

By JPrivady on Mar 23, 2017 at 4:41 AM
  1. JPrivady

JPrivady Active Member

Hello everyone!
    I'm was browsing the forums for threads about the next Sonic games and I found multiple abandoned/short-lived threads with the same questions, news and discussions. Because of that, I decided to create this thread and maintain it updated with all news and rumours, sort of like an 'complete' one. ( of course, only if that's alright with the mods; @MrMischief , @Buzz , @Medli , what do you think?)

News and discussion thread for both Sonic Forces and Sonic Mania, from Sega.
    Feel free do talk and post news and rumours about them!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do we know:
    (this post will be constantly edited, at every update)

sonic-mania-1-646x325.jpg
    Sonic Mania

• > Launch date: August, 15th!!!... and 29th for PC (Oh no)
    • > It is being developed by old fans and modders from Sonic games, like Christian Whitehead, Headcannon and PagodaWest Games;
    • > Physical releases to consoles are still not confirmed, but SEGA is considering this idea. Probably not going to happen for now.
    • > Tee Lopes is composing the soundtrack;
    • > 2D sprite adventure; homage to the old titles of Genesis;
    • > 1.5 players mode confirmed;
    • > 3 playable characters (Sonic, Tails and Knuckles);
    • > It will have an story, that will advance like Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, with small cutscenes and level transitions;
    • > No confirmed number of zones yet (rumour: 12 or 13), but it is know that it will have new and old levels; these last ones are going to be 'remixed', with new elements, enemies, and much more;
    • > Scrapped levels (or pieces of them) of the old titles of Mega Drive/Genesis will be featured in Mania.
    • > Confirmed returning levels: Green Hill Zone (from Sonic the Hedgehog), Stardust Speedway Zone (from Sonic CD), Chemical Plant Zone (from Sonic the Hedgehog 2) and Flying Battery Zone (From Sonic & Knuckles);
    • > Confirmed new levels: Studiopolis Zone and Mirage Saloon Zone;
    • > Returning power-ups from the older games;
    • > Eggman/Dr. Robotnik is going to be the main villain;
    • >Confirmed sub-bosses: Hard-Boiled Heavies, all based on the design of the old badnik Eggrobo.
    • >The game is, apparently, connected to Forces...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    sonicforces-logo-1024x713-e1489769756243.jpg
    Sonic Forces

• > Coming at the holidays (December);
    • > It is being developed by the main Sega Team, headed by Takashi Iizuka, produced by Shun Nakamura and directed by Morio Kishimoto;
    • > Soundtrack will be composed mainly by Tomoya Ohtani;
    • > The story was not released yet, but it is know that Eggman already conquested the world in this game, meaning Sonic failed in someway, while he was preoccupied. The plot will revolve around the elements of "power", "forces" and "teamwork". Multiple forces fight for the planet's control;
    • > Like in Generations, Classic Sonic will be back, playable (however, this is not an sequel); apparently, he is an "alternate" version of Sonic brought to this world by Eggman;
    • > 3 different gameplays: modern (with the boost ability, in 3D and 2D views), classic (no gameplay info yet), and a third, customized by the player, with gadgets that can use the power of Wisps;
    • > Other characters from the franchise, like Tails, Knuckles, Silver, Amy and the Chaotix Team are confirmed as NPCs, talking to Sonic through the levels with radios; Shadow, Chaos, Metal Sonic and Zavok are coming back as villains! (?!) - Also, a new villain called Infinite.
    • > Wisps (from Sonic Colors, Lost World and Generations) are coming back;
    • > Red Rings are coming back (not know yet if as collectibles);
    • > No multiplayer mode was confirmed yet;
    • > There will be usual levels (go from point A to B) and time-limited levels.
    • >The game will have a new character - and he's customizable! - Technically, Bubsy and Coldsteel are now canon.
    Video links (YouTube):

Sonic Mania Trailer

Sonic Forces Trailer

Sonic Mania - Switch Gameplay - IGN

Sonic Forces - First Modern Sonic Gameplay

Sonic Forces and Mania - Nintendo Direct from 12/04/2016 - with Classic Gameplay

Sonic Forces - 2nd Classic Sonic Gameplay

Sonic Forces - Custom Avatar Trailer

Sonic Forces - Avatar Gameplay

Sonic Mania - Pre-Order Trailer

Sonic Forces - E3 2017 Trailer

Sonic Forces - Modern, Classic and Avatar gameplay

Sonic Forces - Theme of Infinite

Sonic Forces - Enter Infinite Trailer

Sonic Mania - Animated Intro

To check for official news, visit the Sega and Sonic the Hedgehog media pages in Youtube, Twitter and Facebook.

Attached Files:

Wduff likes this.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017

Comments

Discussion in 'Nintendo Switch' started by JPrivady, Mar 23, 2017.

1. DJMouthwash
      DJMouthwash
      I've got one big problem with sonic mania. When a character runs through a loop their sprite rotates through it. Like, the pixels go diagonal. That's not how it works!
    2. JPrivady
      JPrivady
      Oh crap, I forgot to update this post!

San Diego Comic Con is over, and with it, and we had many news for Mania and Forces!

For Mania, Sonic social medias' pages released two new soundtracks, from Tee Lopes:

The first one is the main theme of the Hard-Boiled Heavies, the final enemies of new Zones. As for the second, we have the main theme for the special stages (where you collect the Chaos Emeralds). It was also revealed that they're based on several classic special zones (you can note Sonic 1, Sonic 3 and Sonic CD details from the video image).

Now, to Forces:

Yes, the new villain, called Infinite, was the main focus. Not a fan of his main theme, but hey, at least there's going to be an more elaborated game plot this time (like in the old Adventures!).

There were many other little details revealed (and rumoured) for both games, but for now, these are the main, official news.

Mania is coming!
    3. JPrivady
      JPrivady
      I think the team is just taking advantage of modern technologies. Apparently, the old game developers had to create separate sprites for each rotation of Sonic (and Tails & Knuckles).
    4. Tipo
      Tipo
      I'm hyped for both of the games
      JPrivady likes this.
    5. DJMouthwash
      DJMouthwash
      That's the point. If the devs were going for authenticity, then they would have made a looping animation. It's not like they didn't already have stock loop animations to work with from 1 & 2 (& Knuckles). The animations from the trailers just made it look like a fan game off of newgrounds. I'm not some huge fanboy of the series, but it really bugs me when devs don't keep a cohesive art style in their modern retro aesthetics. Otherwise what's the point?
    6. JPrivady
      JPrivady
      I see. I agree with you that it kills some of the retro-art they're going for, but honestly (for me, a dirty casual) that's just a little detail xD. The game is still amazing, but I can understand your point.
    7. JPrivady
      JPrivady
      Everyone: watch out for spoilers! The Switch Collector's Edition version is already being distributted, and gameplay videos and details are circullating through the web. I still don't have my Switch ( D: ), and was expecting to get ready with PC in 15th, but the Steam version has been pushed to 29th for more polishment work... ); (I think its to potencialize sellings and avoid piracy, however).

And the game intro has been released! Take a look at this fabulous art: