1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article Switch Drama: Latest Switch Models have inferior displays?

Discussion in 'Frontpage News' started by Buzz, Aug 12, 2017.

By Buzz on Aug 12, 2017 at 9:29 AM
  1. Buzz

Buzz Member

A lot of users have been reporting that Switch consoles purchased within the past month or two seem to have a slightly darker, warmer and less saturated display than the March release models. Are Nintendo using cheaper components to speed up production? or is this the whole N3DSXL IPS/TN drama all over again. Here are some pictures, please note the brighter/cooler/vibrant Switches happen to be the release models whereas the yellow/warm/darker Switches are systems purchased within the past month or so.

Is this something that would bother you?

Image One: (Newer Switch on top, Launch Switch on bottom)

photo_2017-08-12_06-03-16.jpg

Image Two: Newer Switch on left, Launch Switch on right,
    photo_2017-08-12_06-11-58.jpg

Which display do you prefer?

1. The Launch Model (Things look brighter and more vibrant)

13 vote(s)
    86.7%
  2. The Newer Model

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. They look the same to me.

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
You'll need to Login or Register to vote in this poll :(
Registering takes 2 secs. Username, Email, Pass & Vote! Boom. Instant

Comments

Discussion in 'Frontpage News' started by Buzz, Aug 12, 2017.

1. JNASTY
      JNASTY
      Could it be related to the current financial problems at Japan Display inc.?
    2. JPrivady
      JPrivady
      Most probably. The competition for hadware pieces against Apple must be hurting their production lines, so they need to readapt. Not a big problem for me (and most of the casual consumers) if the only difference between both screens is brightness only.
    3. Fiscus
      Fiscus
      Maybe nintendo is shipping them with a different brightness setting for some reason. You can toggle brightness in settings
    4. DJMouthwash
      DJMouthwash
      LCD screens just naturally have differences. If you and your buddies have a few 3DS of the same model to compare you'll see quite a bit of difference between the the screens.
    5. Feefijones
      Feefijones
      Yes I was wondering about whether they have a brightness toggle - a bit like the iPhones do so kids can use them before bed etc?
      Buzz likes this.
    6. Buzz
      Buzz
      yep, it does :)
    7. Orca
      Orca
      Wow- that difference is noticeable.
      Also, how can people afford so many switches!!!!!!
      (seriously, wtff)
    8. Qelrinn
      Qelrinn
      That WOULD bother me. But I read some replies mentioning that it might just need the brightness toggled? Has anyone experimented with this? Or is that what you meant @Buzz with 'yes it does'?
    9. MrSandMan17
      MrSandMan17
      If it means they can provide the demand that they couldnt prior, which seems so as they arent sold out anymore.
      Also if it means a slight boost in battery life then I guess it isnt a major problem but it would be nice if they confirmed this and if the price was slightly lowered to reflect this or at least a discount with a game bundled in. Cant understand appeal of just buying the console on its own and being like well time to play nothing xD
    10. Timelord_no_1
      Timelord_no_1
      If the switch isn't sold out, then it's fine by me :)
    11. JohnnyNintendo
      JohnnyNintendo
      It seems to me that the screen on the newer models are just slightly ambered... Kinda like the "night-light" feature on some newer phones. Could be an attempt at a "better" feature but it wouldn't surprise me if it's a cost-slashing tactic...

Has anyone checked the hardware model numbers to see any difference between the launch/new models? It could be a hardware upgrade I suppose...
      Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2017